Re: [wwp-users] Problems with WWP 6.0.4 and 6.0.5

Subject: Re: [wwp-users] Problems with WWP 6.0.4 and 6.0.5
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: wwp-users -at- egroups -dot- com, "FrameMaker List \(E-mail\)" <Framers -at- FrameUsers -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L \(E-mail\)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 07:20:43 -0700 (PDT)

> 1. when opening the help file for WWP 6, it takes
> FOREVER to open (on a PIII
> 500, with 256 MB RAM, and a 32 MB display adapter,
> using Frame 5.5.6)

WWP's help file, or the help you created with WWP? Do
you have Java enabled on your browser? Which browser
are you using? What version?

> 2. when attempting to generate a WebWorks Help file,
> it chokes and does not
> produce a file, or produces an empty file, or
> produces a file with no images
> (does it not support TIF conversion to GIF?)

Have you mapped every style and created a WWP style
for every Frame style you use? Did you correctly map
the TOC and IX entries? What graphics macro are you
mapping to?

> 3. in the one instance we were able to produce an
> apparently functional
> Webworks Help file, it also took an inordinately
> long time to open. I can't
> imagine our users waiting that long for a help file
> to open

Are you using the "Java TOC" or plain HTML TOC? How
big is your help file? How many topics? How large was
your source book?

> 5. Quadralay's tech support response was to tell me
> that the new 2.0 version
> of Webworks Help is Java, not Javascript, and that
> accounts for it taking
> longer to open ... They
> also suggested I try
> 6.0.5, which I had already done, with no success. A
> final note on tech
> support's response: they suggested that I could the
> Javascript-only
> iteration (and gave me the modifier for the script),
> but said that the
> Javascript version doesn't support "Favorites."

Did they investigate your project's size?

I can sympathize with your frustrations, but you
really didn't provide much information for us to
assess your situation and offer constructive feedback.
Can you be more specific with regards to your project?
How many topics? How large was your source book? Did
you map everything? Which graphic macro are you using?
How large are your TOC and IX? How are they
constructed? How are they mapped? etc...

http://invites.yahoo.com/