Re: SMEs, planning, admins

Subject: Re: SMEs, planning, admins
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 05:29:09 PDT

Subject: Re: SMEs
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>

I get the sense that you're kinda dropping review drafts on the SMEs desk,
willynilly, w/o a schedule of draft production, perhaps w/o coordinating your
draft production with the SW development cycle?

Sure, you have to tailor your plan, but probably not according to the SME, but
to milestones in the development process. For example: deliver srafts for
component level testing, system testing, release to QA, beta release, etc. (of
course, I'm assuming that the development cycle is this advanced, and not simply
fly-by-night coding). If your SME is going to be silly enough to take a month
off, with his own project milestones looming ahead, you've got more serious
problems than just having a recalcitrant SME.

That's pretty much the same thing I would say. Taking a month off instead of participating in the closing phases of a project shows a lack of discipline, and an administration that would allow it would share some blame for the results.

This is where a plan with firm dates becomes a lifeline. If, if, IF you can get the administration to buy in, you'll be able to proceed with at least some sense of security.

I would guess a lack of planning is a more common situation than difficult SMEs. In my current job I'm getting along well with the SMEs, also meeting a few new ones as I try to make our department useful to more of the company, but our review cycle goes something like this:

"How's this?"

"OK, looks good, thanks."

I can't wait until I can persuade the administration to formalize some review procedures.

- A