RE: Job Description

Subject: RE: Job Description
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Shannon Morris'" <shannon -dot- morris -at- gen21 -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:41:32 -0400

Shannon,

Start with a description of what you actually do right now. Chances are
you'll find that you're already covering the ground, they're just looking
for a way to formalize it. Then consider the options and ideas you'll no
doubt receive from the whirlers. How can you best integrate those ideas
into what you believe the company wants you to do?

Here's how I would summarize and add to Bill Swallow's excellent start:

support development and release of company products.

additional job tasks (o' course this is what I do, and not necessarily
indicative of what others may do in similar situations)

-analyze and develop business process flows
-participate on product concept and design teams
-develop and edit functional specifications under guidance of product
managers
-develop user interface designs to meet functional requirements
-assist QA with testing software under development
-write documentation plans
-add documentation/user assistance tasks to project plans
-develop on-line help
-write, edit and produce user and systems documentation
-capture and edit graphics as needed.
-develop style guidelines for documentation and UI
-shepherd the review process for all user assistance projects
-revise user assistance projects
-participate in contingency planning efforts
-write and deliver training programs for clients
-write and deliver internal training
-assist as needed with intranet and internet content development
-publish manuals and guidelines to intranet and internet
-evaluate tools and emerging technology for use in improving user assistance
with company's products.
-advocate, research and propose usability testing and improvements to
company's products and user assistance.
-provide status reports to project and company management.

Gosh I sound important don't I? ;)

HTH

Connie Giordano