OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!

Subject: OT: IE 5 *required* for accessing a web site?!
From: John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, lori -at- dataloom -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:49:08 -0700

I just went to dataloom.com to check out the company, which has just advertised
a TW position on the techwr-l employment site. I was taken aback by a message
indicating that I needed to have Internet Explorer 5.0 or better to access their
site! No Netscape or other browser, no pre-IE5. I've seen requirements for
Shockwave or something in order to view certain content, but having to have a
specific browser just to visit the site?! Why would anyone intentionally limit
visitors in such a way? It seems to me this is like a store saying, "You must
drive a Ford to shop here." Has anyone else ever seen such a limitation?

--
Regards,

John Wilcox - Senior Technical Writer, TCSI, Bothell, Washington