RE: "Bug" reporting for documentation? [long]

Subject: RE: "Bug" reporting for documentation? [long]
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:34:33 -0500

<snip>
> Should source code management tools be used to report "bugs" in
> documentation?
<snip>
We don't use a versioning control software. When there is a change to be
made to the documentation, a regular problem report is written up with
the requested change. I request that they include a print of what they
want changed so I can put both the original problem in a folder. Our
problem report system is set up that everyone that touches the problem
report adds comments.

For example, on my desk is problem report 999-2836:

Original report:
"The End User Documentation sent out to the clients needs to have 2
corrections made. These corrections are for the restart option and how
it works with flow control. See attached examples."
My Team Lead comments:
Assigned to Paul to update documentation with the changes.
My comments:
Made changes to the RoboHELP demomaster project CYCLECL, not to
v:\instruct\client\etc. This is because I made several editorial changes
to the demomaster project that I don't want to have to recreate in the
v:\instruct\etc. document."
back to Karen to close report.
Karen wrote:
This has been completed. Closing call report.
<><><>
And that's how we do it.

If anyone wants the specifics on why the project CYCLECL was updated,
not v:\instruct\client\etc. was updated, email me off-list. In summary,
I'm working on a project where I've copied all the existing
v:\instruct\client documents and created .hlp files for a demonstration
of where the company is going with .hlp files.

<snip>
> Should source code management tools be used to report "bugs" in
> documentation?
<snip>
> I'm opposed to it because it is much easier just to embed comments
> within the text of the document itself using Word's track changes
> function or the equivalent. You can't very easily track code and UI
> problems that way, hence the need for bug reporting for software
> applications.
<snip>
If someone wants changes made to the document, they have to give
me a print out of what changes they want. I learned the hard way that if
you distribute the .doc, people make changes that make your
documentation standards . . . obsolete. For example, the last person
that got a hold of one of my .doc files bolded and underlined the "Type
Y" and "Type N" in the following 2 example sentences, and every other
place where an instruction like this existed. EXAMPLE:

My standard, by the way, is to bold the value (Y or N), not the
word Type. That's the way the Word doc was given to him.

Paul