re: Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying? RANT

Subject: re: Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying? RANT
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:08:57 -0700 (PDT)

Not three minutes every time, three minutes the first time...now it
takes me almost no time at all :-)

I think theree is very little on the web that didn't take us a couple
of minutes to figure out the first time. Does that mrean we don't use
the web? "Things" do things a certain way...if we want to use them,
we learn them.

> I have to disagree here. This isn't a trivial case of using a
> hyphen in
> e-mail, or how to force colleagues to respect our work. This is a
> usability
> issue. You may have figured it out in three minutes (which is
> longer than
> most people look at a web page, much less fiddle with it trying to
> get it
> to work right), but when I encounter a page that won't let me do
> what I
> want, I close it. You don't just irritate people when you have
> persistent
> redirects; you lose them.
>
> I'd recommend finding a way around this problem, or avoid redirects
> altogether.

If there is an alternative, then cool...I'm all for it. However, to
not use something with a long line of benefits (optimized viewing for
browser, copyright protection, etc.) becuase someone may not like the
behaviour of their back button when they are leaving the site? I
don't buy it (and besides...I'm not losing them...)

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines
with Braille lettering

http://mail.yahoo.com/