RE: single-space vs. double-space

Subject: RE: single-space vs. double-space
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:17:05 -0600

Can't we agree to disagree on the epic one versus two periods debate?

Argument Against: A computer is not an Underwood typewriter. Professionally
designed, Type 1 PostScript fonts (and to a lesser degree TrueType fonts)
dynamically adjust the spacing between letters and symbols based on entries
in a large lookup table. Thus more space will automatically exist between a
period and a space than between two letter i's, for example.

Argument For: Type designers are twits. My High School English teacher
insisted upon two spaces after a period and I've been doing it that way ever
since.

Martin