Re: Photo on Resume site or "Gee, get a load of my navel"

Subject: Re: Photo on Resume site or "Gee, get a load of my navel"
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:46:39 -0400

Darren,

The standard "it depends" applies.

Some companies, particularly large companies, more particularly large companies that have signed consent decrees with the EEOC, will immediately reject your resume if it contains a photo of you, because the photo silently volunteers information that the company is not allowed to be cognizant of, specifically your race and sex (not saying that one can always determine race and sex from a photo, lest anyone jump on that, only that it could potentially lead someone to a conclusion about one or both of those attributes).

On the other hand, if you didn't want to work for IBM anyway, a potential employer might see it as a sign of your creative talent.

I had my photo on my resume site when I got my current job. I don't know how many people looked at that site and chose not to contact me because it had a photo, but enough did contact me that I didn't feel I was hurt by it.

Dick

Darren Barefoot wrote:

>I'm assembling a small Web site that will serve as my "curriculum vitae" site.

[snip] Anyhow, that got me thinking as whether I