Re: Translation budgeting question

Subject: Re: Translation budgeting question
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: David Roberts <roberts -dot- d -dot- d -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:43:07 +0200

Dave,

Translation costs depend on the target language. Some languages are
cheaper, some are more expensive, and you may expect a factor 3 for
otherwise similar quality (the most expensive common languages are
Japanese, Korean and Chinese, due to the awkward way to type in the text).

In North America and many European countries, translations are billed based
on the number of words in target language. In some European countries,
billing is based on the "standard line of text, consisting of 50 or 55
characters, including spaces".

The best thing you might do is contact some translation agencies in your
area and ask them about their rates. Average these numbers, and you may get
a guideline. Note that you may also have to compare the actual services
provided.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

I'm trying to budget the translation costs for my Pubs department. I
work for a small company and we haven't translated any of our
publications yet. Could some of you tell me what you pay on a per-line
basis for translation services?