RE: Photo on Resume site or "Gee, get a load of my navel"

Subject: RE: Photo on Resume site or "Gee, get a load of my navel"
From: salatas <salatas -at- micron -dot- com>
To: "'Darren Barefoot'" <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 08:34:20 -0600

Darren Barefoot wrote:

I'm also an amateur photographer, and am including a page of my photos
(work-related and otherwise). Anyhow, that got me thinking as whether I
should put a photo of myself on the site (on the home page or elsewhere). As
we know, there's a stigma about submitting resumes with photos in North
America. So, I wondered how potential employers would react to this. Would
they associate it in the same way? Would it be beneficial or detrimental or
have no effect at all?

Response:

I did not get the job offers I was seeking after relocating to Idaho. I read
some interesting advice in a book, The Perfect Resume (sorry, I don't have
the publishing info in front of me.) It said that if you have an unusual
name but you look like a Fortune 500 executive, you should put your photo on
your resume. I went to work with my scanner and Photo Deluxe, and put the
resulting photo on both my web site and my paper resume. I got a lot more
interviews and several offers.

I think that the next time around, I will put the resume (no photo) on a
separate page, and leave it up to the recruiter to go snooping around on my
site if they want.

Salette Latas
salatas -at- micron -dot- com