RE: Ideal department

Subject: RE: Ideal department
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Teresa Scheuerman'" <t_scheuerman -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:45:13 -0400

Teresa,

My less-than-humble opinion for whatever small amount it might be worth.

If your company is so small that you have little trouble getting stuff from
your SME's, don't sweat it. Over the years, I've worked for relatively
small companies, sometimes as part of R&D, sometimes as part of client
services. It never made much difference in the long run. As long as you
have interaction with R&D, QA, and implementation resources, you should be
able to accomplish what ever tech writing projects are set before you.

The real trick is to make sure both client support and R&D functions
understand the importance of communication, particularly when new products
are under development. Every department has a stake in producing a
high-quality, intuitive, and easily accepted product. Far too many software
companies do not matrix their development efforts to the extent that
everyone with a stake in the outcome has ownership of the project.

If you're writing strictly development or internal documents, by all means
move to the R&D side. If you, like many of us out here in la-la land, do a
bit of everything, it often makes more sense to be your own department,
assigning resources to specification, user support, marketing or any other
writing projects as needed. A hard sell to say the least:) Since writers
often get assigned this way anyway, a lot of companies assign their
technical communication resources to a services/support department.

If the move to R&D is not in the future, at the very least, get your folks
assigned to the development e-mail groups you need. That's a pretty quick
fix, and can get you started in the loop. You'll probably have to always do
some hunting, but at least as good writers, you'll have a head start.

Good luck

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

- Arthur C. Clarke