Re: Bookmarks in PDF

Subject: Re: Bookmarks in PDF
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Shweta G Bhatia <shwetagbhatia -at- dominomail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 06:00:33 -0400

You don't say what software you created the manual in. If you use Word,
you should be using PDFMaker (NOT PDFWriter) to generate the PDF. This
will automatically create bookmarks for all of your heading, turn all of
your Word link (such as TOC links) into internal PDF links, etc. When
you start PDFMaker, check the settings on all of the tabs. They're
largely self-explanatory.

If you don't use Word, I'm not sure what automatic options you have, but
you can always make bookmarks manually.

On the Window menu in Acrobat, select "Show Bookmarks." (Maybe they're
already there and you just don't know it.) Navigate to a page where you
want a bookmark and type Ctrl-B to create a new bookmark. Type the name
of the bookmark.

You can manipulate bookmarks in the bookmark pane to arrange them
hierarchically. It takes a bit of practice to figure out how the
drag-and-drop actions work, but you'll eventually get the hang of it.
You can also adjust bookmark properties in some interesting ways. For
example, you can use one to select a particular view (position and
mangnification) on a page, so you can really zoom in on a graphic
feature, for example.

Finally, in the Document Open properties (Alt+F, I, O) you can force the
document to open with the bookmarks visible.

HTH,

Dick