FW: "not technical enough"

Subject: FW: "not technical enough"
From: "MacDonald, Stephen" <Stephen -dot- MacDonald -at- Aspect -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:06:04 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Also, while I'm sure that exceptions exist, tech-writing programs
> don't seem to prepare their students very well. From all reports,
> many seem poorly conceived and poorly staffed. However, the main
> problem may be that the classroom simply doesn't prepare people
> for working. Classes in journalism and editing seem to have the
> same problem.

Frankly, this has been my experience also, but I don't think the problem is
the classroom. Schools started ramping up in the middle 60's adding staff,
infrastructure, programs, etc. When the decline in student populations
started a few years back they had to scramble to replace the lost tuition
revenue. I suspect the weak tech writing programs are taught by academics
who have never worked on a high-tech development project and are teaching
from a tech writing text focusing exclusively on writing per se.

Steve MacDonald
Aspect Communications, Inc.