Re: OT? Resumes - how to represent development experience?

Subject: Re: OT? Resumes - how to represent development experience?
From: "Kimber Miller" <kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:45:41 -0500

Rebecca,

I have an experience summary at the top of my resume. I've done time as a
teacher, in sales, and in software development shops. I have used the
"Experience Summary" paragraph very effectively for a number of years. I
simple run the lines together and come up with some thing like:

_Experience Summary_

i/Software Development i/ : stuff about my techwriting i/Telecommunications
i/: stuff about my time w/ MCI and GTE i/Classroom Facilitation i/: brief
stuff about my time as a high school English and Geography teacher
i/Commissioned Sales i/: *very* brief stuff here

I've found this generates some interesting discussions of how I got into
technology--once I get the interview. In getting the interview, it gives an
additional scanner count for words that someone is looking for.

Hope this gives some ideas.

--Kimber Miller
ACS, Inc.
Dallas, Texas USA

Stevenson, Rebecca <rstevens -at- hubdata -dot- com> wrote in message
news:60047 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> It may be premature, but my question is, (assuming this goes well) how do
> describe this in resume-speak? Other than listing familiarity with X
> language or Y development environment, what information about my
programming experience should be included?