RE: Internal transfer

Subject: RE: Internal transfer
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "'NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com'" <NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:01:02 -0400

Nancy,

A couple other thoughts. Having gone through exactly what you're facing:

Working for two bosses can be a pain. Each one will have his or her
priorities and serving two masters takes diplomacy, patience and endurance.
Not bad traits to develop, but it can be trying. It is even harder if the
two bosses are having their own "turf" war or ego conflict.

I've discovered I don't like the marketing writing very well. I find it
very difficult to do without sounding like I'm selling snake oil.

My advice, if you care for it, would be to talk to your current boss and
see if he likes the idea and if he would be willing to bring you back full
time. He may be reluctant because they'll probably have to replace you and
then coming back would displace your replacement. If you don't get along
with your current boss very well, I'd ignore this advice. In any case, I'd
do my best not to burn any bridges.

Tom

Disclaimer: It's too early on a Monday morning and my brain is still foggy.

On Friday, July 28, 2000 4:08 PM, NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com [SMTP:NZjaba -at- phi -dot- com]
wrote:
> Listers, help!
>
> I'm currently a writer in my co.'s manuals dept. An opportunity has come
> up doing marketing tech writing for another division. After meeting with
> that division's marketing head, I sent him my resume and spoke to my
> supervisor, per co. policy.
>
> Shortly thereafter, the marketing head started talking about a six-month
> period in which I would split my time between the two jobs, so I could be
> sure I liked the marketing writing, which would involve some travel. (I
> don't do any traveling now.) I told him I understood what the job would
be
> like, and didn't think such an arrangement was necessary. But he
continues
> to push for it.
>
> I feel like I've been put in a bad spot. My current boss already knows
I'm
> looking elsewhere. And suddenly this job offer is down to half-time,
> presumably at my current pay rate.
>
> Any thoughts on where to proceed? My boss's boss may nix the idea (and
> most likely will). I feel like there's something going on in the
> background at the other division, but am not sure what.
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments.

> Nancy E. Zjaba, Technical Writer
> Physical Electronics
> 6509 Flying Cloud Drive
> Eden Prairie, MN 55344
> USA
> (952) 828-6386
> nzjaba -at- phi -dot- com
>
> Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
> -- Red Green

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering Div., Star Cutter Company

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com - work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net - personal