Re: Excel to Quark?

Subject: Re: Excel to Quark?
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:50:04 -0400

Geoff,

I tend to do this, too, because I like Chicago-style tables. But sometimes, especially for financial tables, it's better to import from Excel. Couple of reasons for this;

First, the numbers may be changing rapidly up until about 11:30 pm the night before the job is due. One change in one cell of an Excel table can result in pages of changes in your publishing program--changes you will have to massage manually or enter manually--and you don't want to make a mistake with auditable numbers.

Second, about the time the CFO gets done with the numbers, the CEO walks in and say, "hey, can you throw in those Excel charts, too?" So you might as well be prepared.

I've found that I can match font, rule, and spacing characteristics in Excel without too much trouble and then get the finance guys to use my tweaked Excel file for further updates. After that, it's just a matter of repeating the import procedure into my publishing program of choice (usually PM), and voila! The update is done in minutes, with no proofreading required.

Dick