Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics

Subject: Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics
From: "Stephen Forrest" <techwriter -at- attglobal -dot- net>
To: "Tech Writers List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- tulsa -dot- cistech -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:12:53 -0400

Thanks for your reply.

I work with FrameMaker, which has no interface with Visual SourceSafe,
so checking out a file and opening it in FM are two different
operations.

If we kept our graphics in VSS, and mirrored the directory structure on
our hard drives, it seems to me that we would still have to "get" all
the graphics each time we open a chapter file to ensure we have the
latest graphics. This would be time consuming. I don't even want to
think about the last check-out, when we check out the whole book
(300-400 MB).

I don't know what you mean when you talk about the batch file. I just
check the whole thing out to my hard drive and print to a .PS file. It
seems to me that your arrangement might create a headache for anyone
wanting to open these files later, after they've been archived.

I also don't know what you mean by "compile...automatically out of
SourceSafe".

P.S. We do save versions. That's the whole point of using VSS, I think.

Thanks again, Bye

From: Hyde, Barb # IHTUL <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- tulsa -dot- cistech -dot- com>
Date: Monday, July 31, 2000 9:51 AM

>Not sure from your Techwriter post just where your problem with
SourceSafe
>lies, but I have been using SourceSafe to store referenced graphics
since it
>came out with no problems. I have approximately 600 referenced graphics
that
>I use in Word DOCs, WinHelp 16, and WinHelp 32. Although I have had
Word,