RE: "not technical enough"

Subject: RE: "not technical enough"
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:22:54 -0700

Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>One of the things that pains me in the technical
>world in general is that developers, marketers, entrepreneurs, even writers all
>seem to undervalue users. For one thing, where would any of us be without
>users?

I know I've been babbling a lot about the Open Source movement
recently, but one of the most interestng parts of it is the way
that it tends to remove these distinctions. Many Open Source or
Free Software programmers don't see themselves as "developers":
they see themselves as general users who just happen to have
written some code that they liked. Similarly, if customers add
code to a company's product, then where does the company is going
to treat them with more respect.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"You poor take courage, you rich take care,
This world was made a common treasury for everyone to share,
All things in common, all people in one,
'We come in peace' - the order came to cut them down."
- Leon Rosselson, "The World Turned Upside Down"