Re: Graphics, Graphics, Graphics One Last Time

Subject: Re: Graphics, Graphics, Graphics One Last Time
From: "Klasovsky, Nick" <nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com>
To: "TechWr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:56:32 -0400

Most, if not all of the posts on this subject talk about graphics for
software documentation, where it seems that screen captures and clip art are
used almost exclusively.

There's another whole world most posters are ignoring. If you're documenting
hardware such as complex machine tools, vehicles, engines, power generators,
or electrical systems, graphics are essential. The more graphics, the
better. We use everything from photos to electrical schematics to exploded
isometric line drawings in my documentation. Line drawings are so essential
and useful to the documents I write that I have taught myself how to use
everything from AutoCAD to CorelDraw. Little did I know when I took
mechanical drawing in high school that it would be so useful.

We also document PC-based control software. In the Help files we create for
the software, we rarely use screen captures, since the users can move the
Help windows out of the way to see the software windows and dialog boxes.
However, we also create manuals from the Help files and include them with
the control software as PDF files, so the users can print them if they want.
We use screen captures extensively in the manuals.

In the hardware world, a picture is really worth a thousand words.

Nick Klasovsky
Nordson Corporation
Amherst, Ohio
nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com