Re: Terminology for disability

Subject: Re: Terminology for disability
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:59:29 -0700

David Chinell <dchinell -at- email -dot- msn -dot- com> wrote:

> My company is creating a product that accommodates people
> confined to wheelchairs. Our engineers and programmers have
> been using terms like "handicap access door" and "handicap
> card reader". These just strike me as wrong, or at least
> politically incorrect.

I know of a couple of activists in wheelchairs who have a
different view of the subject. Asked what they prefer to be
called, they say, "I'm a crip, damnit! A crip!"

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dundee, he is mounted and rides up the street,
And the bells they ring back and the drums they are beat,
But the provost (douce man) says, 'Just let them be,
'For the town is well rid o' that devil Dundee."
-Sir Walter Scott, "Bonnie Dundee"