Tools and programming

Subject: Tools and programming
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, sandy -at- storm -dot- ca
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:17:30 -0700

Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca> wrote:

>I'm an old Unix user. I tend to assume that anyone should be
>able to write a simple script when required. In negative terms,
>any user who cannot program at all is clueless.
[snip]

>Am I just being a curmudgeon here or do others also find it
>bizarre that people cannot do things like this?

Different culture, Sandy. You're from a do-it-yourself culture.
Most people from the Dark Side of the Force (AKA Windows) aren't
used to being so self-sufficient. Part of the reason is
proprietary formats, but another part is also GUIs that don't
encourage exploration under the hood, and a strong distinction
between developer and user. All things things are different under
UNIX or Linux.

Over the last couple of years, I've seen a number of people
switch from Windows to Linux. Inevitably, once they get over the
initial shock of the transition, they start to enjoy being able
to do things for themselves. "I feel so much more in control," is
a common response to the change.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dundee, he is mounted and rides up the street,
And the bells they ring back and the drums they are beat,
But the provost (douce man) says, 'Just let them be,
'For the town is well rid o' that devil Dundee."
-Sir Walter Scott, "Bonnie Dundee"