RE: Salary Review...

Subject: RE: Salary Review...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:27:58 -0700

"Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com> wrote:

>Bruce Byfield suggests that the STC salary Review is low.
>
>Interesting, but last year in early fall I had lunch with a group of tech
>writers in my area. A couple of people were surprised salaries we so much
>higher than they were earning; a few people felt the results of the salary
>survey were too low and others felt it was just about right.

Possibly, personal perception is at work here.

However, the range of responses may also suggest that the survey
draws from too small a sample to be accurate. First, it draws
only from the STC - that is, from only 20-50% of tech-writers,
depending on the area. Second, it includes only STC members who
bother to respond.

Another problem may be that there are two salary scales in some
areas. In what I call the "traditional" scale, writers are paid
about two-thirds of what a coder with the same experience is
worth. By contrast, in the new high-tech scale, writers draw the
same pay as coders. In my experience, people on the high-tech
scale either don't belong to the STC, or else belong but aren't
active members.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dundee, he is mounted and rides up the street,
And the bells they ring back and the drums they are beat,
But the provost (douce man) says, 'Just let them be,
'For the town is well rid o' that devil Dundee."
-Sir Walter Scott, "Bonnie Dundee"