Re: Terminology for disablity

Subject: Re: Terminology for disablity
From: Cecily Holmberg <cholmber -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:47:40 -0500

David Chinell <dchinell -at- email -dot- msn -dot- com> wrote:
<snip>"My company is creating a product that accommodates people
>confined to wheelchairs. Our engineers and programmers have
>been using terms like "handicap access door" and "handicap
>card reader". These just strike me as wrong, or at least
>politically incorrect."<snip>

My significant other said that in his lifetime, the terminolgy for him
and his bum arm has changed five times.
When he was a child in the Sixties, he was called "crippled"
In the Seveties, he was considered "Special"
In the Eighties, "Handicapped"
The Ninties, "Disabled"
In the new millenium, "Physically Challenged"
What next?
And can people sign a Hold Harmless letter if the name of a group
changes without prior notification?

Cecily Holmberg
Technical Writer
TCF Financial Corporation
Minneapolis, MN

Previous by Author: Linking to graphics: why, why not?
Next by Author: re: Collarborative Efforts
Previous by Thread: RE: Book to learn XML?
Next by Thread: Technical Writing jobs

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads