Re: informational interview questions

Subject: Re: informational interview questions
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "Jo Francis Byrd" <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 08:22:00 +1100

Jo Francis Byrd drawled:

> hum.....as one certified in the correct usage of y'all and uses it ALL the
time,
> I've not been sneered at - yet, at least - when it crops up in my conversation,
> and I've been as far afield as England (where all I have to do is open my mouth
> to get a, "You're not from around here, are you?" look).

Yes, I thought that sneer of mine might stir up
some excitement around here.

No matter where I go, I get the "You're not
from around here, are you?" look. I even get it
when I go back to where I AM from -- proving, I
think, that Thomas Wolfe was right.

Tell me, is your "y'all" always plural? My South
Carolinian cousins use it for singular as well.

Michael West
Melbourne, Australia