Document Identity

Subject: Document Identity
From: "Colin Green" <cgreen -at- illuminet -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:32:26 -0700

Hello Tech Writers,

I have a doc that's experience an identity crisis. I am documenting a product that is a UNIX command-line application. Install and configuration are performed by UNIX commands/utilities. Read: there's no GUI anywhere and, once installed and configured, the product is automated save for troubleshooting, which is on-going. A disagreement broke out here regarding what kind of doc I am creating. Or, if you will, what to title the doc. The document includes the following chapters:

Overview
Installation
Configuration
Troubleshooting

The types/titles currently under debate are thus:

Installation Guide
Operations Guide
User Guide

What does your experience suggest to you?

Thanks,

Colin