Re: Document Identity

Subject: Re: Document Identity
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "Colin Green" <cgreen -at- illuminet -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:08:27 -0700

I vote for Installation and Operation Guide. Configuration is nice, but it doesn't include the other operations in the concept. What about the XSYS Operator's Guide - that is, every thing the operator needs to know about the program.

BTW - Did they design a UNIX script to simplify this? Typing it all in by hand seems senseless.

Marilynne

At 02:32 PM 8/31/00 -0700, Colin Green wrote:

Hello Tech Writers,

I have a doc that's experience an identity crisis. I am documenting a product that is a UNIX command-line application. Install and configuration are performed by UNIX commands/utilities. Read: there's no GUI anywhere and, once installed and configured, the product is automated save for troubleshooting, which is on-going. A disagreement broke out here regarding what kind of doc I am creating. Or, if you will, what to title the doc. The document includes the following chapters:

Overview
Installation
Configuration
Troubleshooting

The types/titles currently under debate are thus:

Installation Guide
Operations Guide
User Guide

What does your experience suggest to you?

Thanks,

Colin