Re: Font Size

Subject: Re: Font Size
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Cédric Simard <cedricns -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:57:08 -0700

Cédric Simard wrote:

> Has everybody used odd font size in technical documents? Is not it better
> to use even font size? Talking about proportion and things like this, can I
> have problems using odd font size?

Not exactly. However, documents usually look better if you
establish a scale of different font sizes while you're designing.
Often too, you'll want the differences between fonts to be
regular (for example, you might set your Title paragraph to 16,
Heading1 to 14 pts, Heading2 to 12 pts, and Body to 10 pts).

Also, you may occasionally run into the issue of optimal size.
Pre-digital fonts varied in weight, proportion and other features
from the same font in a different size. By contrast, many digital
fonts simply expand or shrink the same design to change the size,
without any change in proportion. If you venture much outside the
10 to 14 point range, such fonts may look a little strange.
However, I think that optimal size would be more of a concern
with marketing material than with technical documentation, in
which font size is usually in a much narrower range.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Dundee, he is mounted and rides up the street,
And the bells they ring back and the drums they are beat,
But the provost (douce man) says, 'Just let them be,
'For the town is well rid o' that devil Dundee."
-Sir Walter Scott, "Bonnie Dundee"