Re: Need a term

Subject: Re: Need a term
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:58:25 -0400

"Marc A. Barringer" wrote:

> Looking for a term for the process of "loading" a website with meta
> terms and whatnot so that it is detected by search engines earlier and
> rates higher on their scoring tables.

If you really overdo it, it becomes "cheating", "tricking the search engines"
or even "web spam". Extreme cases have turned up in discussions in the
news.admin.net-abuse.* newsgroups. Last I looked, no-one there was sure
what to do about them, but they were working on it.

Some search engines have filters so that if you go to extremes like
putting the same term in your meta tags multiple times to improve your
chances, they reject you from the index altogether.

There's been at least one lawsuit, against a porno site that was using
"disney" and "sony" in meta-tags because they are popular search terms.