Understanding Type (Was Re: Justified or Not)

Subject: Understanding Type (Was Re: Justified or Not)
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:31:02 +1100

Maybe we should have a boilerplate answer for questions like this.

Just for starters, here are some of the factors that a publication
designer must consider when specifying type:

Country of use
Space available
Production budget
Distance of reader from text
Activity of reader during use
Age of reader
Available light
Degree of hazard involved
Color of background medium and ink
Luminosity of background medium and ink
Reflectivity of background medium and ink
Volume of text
Complexity of text
Width of column
Length of column
Leading
Margin
Rules and borders
Typeface
Type size
(List incomplete)

Now, everything in this list is related to everything else. If one
changes, others will need changing.

Now do you see why there is no simple answer to questions
like "What is the best size/family/setting for type?

Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

I imagine that someday there will be a new kind
of sadomasochistic role-playing in which the
technologically adept will pay dominatrices to
treat them like newbies.
-- Dennis Cass (Harper's Magazine, July 2000)