Editing

Subject: Editing
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 16:06:37 -0400

I was roaming the threads and fell into that
"Transition to editing..." thing that fizzled out
last week. (Hic! Pass the Glennfiddich!)

As somebody else mentioned, I sometimes think I'd
kill for the services of a good editor. As a lone
writer, I know I can get into a complacent rut.

However, I have also edited other people in the past,
and would like to pass on this ti[t/d]-bit:

A terse, minimalist style works for SOME people, but
I got the best reaction when I began putting lots
of comments and explanations along with my editing,

and especially when I'd circle entire paragraphs and
sections and comment "Cool!" or "I like that!" or
"Nicely said." It made the other, more critical
comments go down easier, and left the impression that
I was reading for quality and not just to be picky or
to justify my job.

Also, when the suggested changes were non-critical,
I would preface my suggestions with "You might try..."
or "How about..." That way, neither one of us felt
bad when the suggestions were accepted or... not. :-)
It left the writer with the impression that he or she
was still owner of the work, and that I recognized that
ownership.

/kevin