RE: Cost of FM 6 upgrade.

Subject: RE: Cost of FM 6 upgrade.
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:10:48 -0400

Checkout adobe.com and resellers, like http://www.highsoft.com, for more
info., but I think $229 is the asking price to upgrade.

As for Acrobat, Adobe did this:

1. They renamed Adobe Acrobat Exchange to Adobe Acrobat. That's very
confusing. Furthermore, Acrobat Exchange functionality has, indeed, been
un-bundled.

2. Acrobat Distiller is still included with FrameMaker 6, you need it to
make PDFs. The reader, as you know, is free.

3. The upgrade price to the Acrobat software suite, which includes Adobe
Acrobat (formerly Exchange) that you don't have, and the redundant Distiller
and Reader software, is $99. You are eligible for the upgrade because, as a
FM 5.5 user, you had Acrobat version 3. I upgraded. I needed the Exchange
functionality.

4. There is a download-only software package called Acrobat Business Tools,
or something like that. Check it out, but teh $99 upgrade to the Acrobat
"suite" made more sense for me.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S. I am disappointed at the un-bundling and would like to discuss that
with the marketing/sales bean-counter who made the decision . . ..