RE: A Question for Webmasters

Subject: RE: A Question for Webmasters
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 08:38:09 -0700

> I work full-time as a teacher who has created some very modest web sites
> (no javascript). I have seen an opening for "assistant webmaster" at a
> local school.
>
> My question is this: what skills do you think a person should need--at a
> minimal--to do such a job?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a simple answer to this
question. The title, webmaster, can include any or all of the following
duties: installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting the web server, web
site design, web site programming (coding anything from simple HTML files to
complex database applications using CGI, Perl, Java, etc.), developing web
site content, uploading and maintaining web site content provided by others,
converting documents from other formats to HTML, and other duties as
required. You need to know more about the job description of webmaster at
the school you are considering.

I would think that at the least you would need a thorough
understanding of HTML, including its advanced features, e.g., forms, frames,
etc. However, I can think of situations (unlikely) that would require no
HTML. I also think you would need some acquaintance with programming. If you
have learned any programming or scripting language, so that you have an
understanding of the process of writing programs, you can probably learn
what you need to know quickly. As webmaster you are likely to need to use
one or more of the following: javascript, Perl, Java, PHP, SQL, etc. It
mainly depends on the size and complexity of the web site. The skills you
need also depends on what the employer means by "assistant"--what skills
they expect their new hire to bring to the job and what skills they expect
the new hire to learn on the job.

So, the answer is the ever-popular "it depends". You need more info
about the specific job. Can you look at their web site? At least you can see
how complicated it is, so you can see what "someone" needs to know to run
the site. Wouldn't they have a job announcement posted there that contains
the details about the job?

Good luck,
Janet

Janet Valade