Re: Browser call from FrameViewer & vice versa

Subject: Re: Browser call from FrameViewer & vice versa
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 11:56:28 -0400

John Cornellier wrote:
> I need to create a link in a FrameViewer (5.5 / *IX) document that opens
> Netscape and goes to a named point in the doc. I also must do it in
> reverse, open FrameViewer from Netscape. Is it possible, and if so does
> anyone have the required or must I RTFM?

FrameViewer can make system calls using the "message system" hypertext
command. Netscape can (or used to be able to, anyway) receive external
calls through its "remote control" interface. The complete hypertext
command in FrameMaker should be something like:

message system netscape -remote 'openURL(http://www.foo.bar/file.html#anchor)'

To open an FM document from Netscape, simply set FrameViewer as the
external viewer for whatever MIME type you use for FM documents. Be
sure that your web server is serving FM documents with the same MIME
type. Then, in your HTML documents you can make a regular old link
to the FM document.

I believe that this solution will only work under UNIX-type systems.
Also, since I haven't tried anything like this in about four years,
you may want to double-check this information.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans eeyore+ -at- cmu -dot- edu