RE: Tools and programming

Subject: RE: Tools and programming
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:41:08 -0700

Mike Adams <Mike_Adams -at- summithq -dot- com> wrote:

>I think that the self-sufficiency part is only true for new kids. Old hands
>that came up in DOS environments are probably able to handle "innards"
>without much difficulty. The first places I worked after leaving the Navy
>would not hire anyone incapable of supporting their own PC.

I'm not so sure. I remember when the Norton Commander was the
state-of-the-art interface, but I admit I got very lazy once GUIs
became widespread. It was only when I switched over to Linux that
I started getting my hands dirty again and working from the shell
- but, then, Linux shells are much more sophisticated than DOS,
and much easier to work with.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"They sought in kirk, they sought in hall,
The lady was na' seen,
She's o'er the border and awa'
Wi' Jock o' Hazeldean."
-Sir Walter Scott, "Jock o' Hazeldean"