A tech writer's koan

Subject: A tech writer's koan
From: "Mandy Wells" <mwells -at- valadeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:37:08 -0400

Hello Whrlers
Thanks to all of you who sent me URLs for quote sites--I deluged the
developer and he was suitably impressed (although he probably now thinks I
do nothing but surf for sites all day long).

And my koan:
So Grasshopper, you are writing something for a company--other than the one
that employs you--to be included with the other company's manual BUT the
other company's manual isn't written very well (additional information
masquerading as numbered steps and nasty stuff like that).

Would you write your piece in your own, technically excellent style, knowing
that it would be more useful to the end-user?

Or would you write in the other company's icky style so your piece looks
like it's an integrated part of the (nasty) whole?

Just wondering,
Mandy