Re: A tech writer's koan

Subject: Re: A tech writer's koan
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: mwells -at- valadeo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 12:42:02 PDT

From: "Mandy Wells" <mwells -at- valadeo -dot- com>

Would you write your piece in your own, technically excellent style, knowing
that it would be more useful to the end-user?

Or would you write in the other company's icky style so your piece looks
like it's an integrated part of the (nasty) whole?

If it were up to me, the former. However, if there is someone governing the ickiness who insists on maintaining it, you're kind of stuck with it.

It isn't easy to write dreck on purpose. I mean, how do you remember to number information you wouldn't ordinarily number? You might have to just write the way you write, and let them edit it into a mess after the fact.

Cheers,

Maggie Secara

"Wouldn't it be wondrous if perfectly
commonplace people gave each other a round
of applause at the end of the day?"

Oh and yes, The Elizabethan World is still at http://ren.dm.net