RE: the world's most frequently read instructions

Subject: RE: the world's most frequently read instructions
From: "Smith, Martin" <martin -dot- smith -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:06:21 -0600

All of this reminds me of the editor who saw a "Fresh Fish For Sale" sign
while walking down the street. He immediately thought of ways to improve
upon the wording of the sign.
1) The words "For Sale" are clearly superfluous.
The shopkeeper isn't going to give the fish away for free.
2) Fresh is also superfluous.
Surely the shopkeeper wouldn't sell spoiled fish.
3) The word Fish is also superfluous
You can smell the fish a block away.

Replacing the sign with the picture of a fish would also be a waste of time
because you can still smell the fish.

Clearly the best option is to avoid saying, drawing, or writing anything.
That would, no doubt, make all of our jobs much easier.

Martin