Re: the world's most frequently read instructions

Subject: Re: the world's most frequently read instructions
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:39:58 +1100

Martin Smith writes:

> [...]
> Replacing the sign with the picture of a fish would also be a waste of time
> because you can still smell the fish.
>
> Clearly the best option is to avoid saying, drawing, or writing anything.
> That would, no doubt, make all of our jobs much easier.

I agree that that is absolutely, unquestionably the
best option in this case.

If, in fact, the fish can be smelled a block away, then
they are not only not "fresh" -- they are probably unfit
for human consumption. Therefore they should not
be sold. Therefore there is no need to advertise them.

Now, this all proves beyond any shadow of a doubt
what I been trying to convince those glum-faced
writers whose drafts come under my scrutiny: Editors
are doing this for the Benefit of All Mankind.

When will they learn to appreciate this fact?

Thanks for the parable.

Michael West
Editor and Benefactor
Melbourne, Australia