Get to the point?

Subject: Get to the point?
From: "Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 15:45:20 -0700

I was perusing a book on marketing principles, out of curiosity. While much of what was said would definately apply to making marketing materials more effective, at least from my limited point of view, one thing did pop out at me which I though perhaps some of you listers would have interesting thoughts on.

For several chapters, the book goes on about "getting to the point". It gives examples of marketing brochures which ramble on and on without telling you why you should use their company or services.

The book says, " Usually, their point is, 'I want to sell you something.' But to the listener, that point is obvious and meaningless. Most marketing communications fail for the same reason. They never tell you what their point is. Tell people in a single compelling sentence why they should buy from you instead of someone else."

For you minimalist tech writers, do you think this at all applies to how we write technical information? Obviously marketing material and technical materials are entirely different things, not the least of why because our audiences are different.

The book also goes on to say how oranges are actually green and growers spray them with some compound to make them orange (in an attempt to show how we all buy into fake things), but I doubt this because the organic oranges I buy are orange, and I've never seen a green orange on a tree.

So perhaps all of this is a load ay crap, but I thought some of you would have worthwhile thoughts on the topic.

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com