Re: Doc-to-Help book?

Subject: Re: Doc-to-Help book?
From: Susan Guttman <sguttman -at- semantix -dot- com>
To: Patricia Jackson <patrj -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:20:18 -0400

Patricia Jackson sent this cry unto the wilderness:

> I've searched Barnes & Nobel and Amazon.com for a book on using Doc-to-Help.
> The manual is somewhat lacking. Does anyone know of any?

I did extensive online searches for such a book a few months back, when I
was in dire need, and found nothing, nada, not a sausage.

The manual is more than somewhat lacking, it is an absolute disgrace: an
authoring tool whose manual leaves out crucial information (two examples:
little to no coverage of unique proprietary field codes, and no section on
context-sensitive help, even though it is listed in the overview at the
front of the manual) and which also has an extremely inaccurate index.

The complete dearth of literature for this tool was the last straw, and made

me determined to avoid it whenever possible.

And now I'll contradict myself: I resorted to Doc-To-Help just yesterday, as
a way of making a quick-and-dirty online Help. Though I generally consider a
dependency on Word to be a liability, in a pinch it is very handy to be able
to grab a bunch of Word docs and create an online Help from them in a matter
of hours... but I still can't think of it as a professional-level tool.

Susan Guttman
Technical Writer
Semantix,inc.
Montreal, Quebec