capitalization question

Subject: capitalization question
From: Carla Gray <CGray -at- fortpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:22:47 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to put the finishing touches on our company style guide and
having a couple of issues with capitalization. I've looked through MLA,
Chicago Manual of Style, Microsoft Manual of Style, and Wired Style.

1. Capitalization of pieces of functionality: Our vote is at 50-50, and I
can't find any sources that address functionality terms. Our functionality
terms include: the registration process, the add-to-cart functionality, the
checkout process (or the Registration process, the Add-to-Cart
functionality, the Checkout process). Any opinions? Any suggestions as to
where I should look?

2. Capitalization of position titles: Our group agrees that titles should be
capitalized when appearing before or after a person's name (for example,
Senior Project Manager Jones or Jane Jones, Senior Project Manager). We
disagree on whether it should be capitalized as a common noun in a sentence
(for example, the senior project manager reviewed the report or the Senior
Project Manager reviewed the report). Both MLA and Chicago Manual of Style
say it should be lower case.

I tried looking up capitalization in the archive but didn't find anything
that helped me.

Thanks for all your help,
Carla Gray