Pitching FrameMaker

Subject: Pitching FrameMaker
From: Christopher.Phipps/IQFS -at- iqfinancial -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:53:25 -0400

Hi all--

I'm not venturing into new territory with this posting, I realize, but I'd
love some feedback about moving the documentation here at my new job toward
something more manageable and standardized. Specifically, I'm trying to
pitch FrameMaker to my boss, and although I don't really need help in that
area, I want to go in as informed as possible.

Currently, we use RoboHelp for online Help, Word for printed materials, and
Frontpage for Web projects. My boss wants to move toward a product that is
more single-source friendly, and I want to get as far away from Word as
possible (nothing evokes such vehemence in me like dealing with Word--it's
starting to suck out my soul--but I digress).

I've used FrameMaker 5.5 extensively, and for obvious reasons, I prefer it
to Word. However, I can't ask the powers that be to shell out money and
change directions just to satisfy my preferences. I've been reading up on
FrameMaker 6.0, and it seems to be promising a lot. So my question (after
this long-winded intro.) is this: Is WebWorks a viable solution for taking
FrameMaker docs and putting them on the Web and into an online Help format?
How well does it "blend projects with Word and RoboHelp," as the marketing
material promises?

It might help to know that I'm at a young financial software firm and we
don't produce that many printed guides, but that could change in the
future. If changing directions and software goes awry, I'll have to answer
for it, so before making any immediate choices, I want to be as enlightened
as possible. Your two cents is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Phipps