Re: Get to the point?

Subject: Re: Get to the point?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 00:41:22 -0700 (PDT)

"Sierra Godfrey" <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com> wrote in message
news:65902 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> For you minimalist tech writers, do you think this at all applies to how we
write technical information? Obviously marketing material and technical
materials are entirely different things, not the least of why because our
audiences are different.

<Looking stalwart into a sunset>

People like to show off. Writers are no different. People who don't have much
to say somehow get the idea that if they use a lot of flowery language, people
will respect them for their genius.

So rather than say,

"Get back to work, you!"

They say

"Please, resume your current endeavors toward market penetration and
synergistic team relations."

You know the type.

User docs are no different. Writers love to pontificate about their brilliance
- be it real or imagined. Marketing people love to pontificate about their
stupid gimmicks and strategies.

In the end, it is all bullshit and anybody with half a brain stem knows that.
Hence the reason I was blathering about taking things at face value. You can
sit around all day and dream up a new brilliant user-case scenario - or you can
just get to work and produce something. Rather than writing some big flowery
sentence, just say it and move along. We're not getting any younger and the
universe doesn't much care for perfection.

Its a lot easier to tweak crap than generate genius.

So I'm off to generate some more crap. I'm good at that.

Andrew Plato

http://mail.yahoo.com/