Typography and page layout links

Subject: Typography and page layout links
From: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:34:18 +1100

The following sites should be helpful for people who
want to educate themselves in using type and arranging
elements on a page to optimize communication with their
audience.

In another post I've already mentioned authors whose
works are considered authoritative in the field.

I'm always amazed at how many people I run into in our
industry who claim to have "opinions" about typography
and design, but who don't have the basic vocabulary or
education to explain what they think or why they think it.

With all this free information online, there's no need
for Techwhirlers to be * that * kind of person.

http://www.newentrepreneur.com/Resources/Articles/DTP_12_most_common/dtp_12_m
ost_common.html
http://cleo.murdoch.edu.au/gen/aset/ajet/ajet7/su91p153.html
http://dtp-aus.com/typo/prnc-des.shtml
http://www.popcomm.co.uk/bios/Jan.html
http://www.rightwords.co.nz/layout.html
http://desktoppub.about.com/compute/desktoppub/msub16rules.htm

Another thing that is discouraging -- and it will be
apparent when you visit some of these links -- is
how little Web page designers have learned from
the great tradition of print designers. Notice, for
example, how some of these links take you to pages
that have excellent content but dismal presentation.
Trying to read serious text superimposed over "vibrating"
textured backgrounds, for example, is physically painful
for these old eyeballs.

No, this isn't a smile, it's a grimace.

Regards
--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

"In a meeting I once said that everybody who
was there would be dead before me. Naturally
they protested that no one could know that
precisely. ... I knew it with complete certainty,
and they're all long since dead."
-- Jean Sibelius (1865-1957)