Re: Get to the point?

Subject: Re: Get to the point?
From: Susan Guttman <sguttman -at- semantix -dot- com>
To: Sierra Godfrey <kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 15:44:12 -0400

on 9/1/00 6:45 PM, Sierra Godfrey at kittenbreath -at- hotbot -dot- com did say unto
the multitude:

> The book also goes on to say how oranges are actually green and growers spray
> them with some compound to make them orange (in an attempt to show how we all
> buy into fake things), but I doubt this because the organic oranges I buy are
> orange, and I've never seen a green orange on a tree.
---------------

Oranges are green before they ripen. They are indeed picked while still
green, and then exposed to ethylene gas, which "ripens" the exterior to a
healthy-seeming orange.
They do this so that the oranges can be safely transported across country
without danger of the fruit rotting en route.

p.s. Of course you've never seen a green orange on a tree; they blend in
with the leaves.. ;D

Susan Guttman
Technical Writer
Semantix,inc.