Re: KWord

Subject: Re: KWord
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Catie Easley <ceasley -at- is -dot- com>, techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 19:24:33 -0700

"Catie Easley" <ceasley -at- is -dot- com> wrote:

>Has anyone used KWord? One of our developers suggested it since it's free.
>From their Web site (http://koffice.kde.org/kword/): "KWord is a
>FrameMaker-like wordprocessor application for KOffice. So it can be used for
>DTP, but also for "normal" wordprocessing (like writing letters, reports,
>etc.)." Does anyone know if this is true?

More or less. I played about with Kword a couple of months ago,
and I think it's very promising. It uses text flows pretty much
the same as Frame does, so it could be used to some extent for
DTP.

However, more importantly:

Wait until KDE 2.0 and Kword 1.0 are out. KDE warns that the
final release may not be backwardly compatible with the beta
versions. KDE specifically warns that the development versions
should NOT be used for mission-critical work.

(the org's words - "For God's sake reader, take them not for
mine!" as Lord Byron says. I like to think that I write English,
not Corporate).

I rejected the idea of using Kword for my present project for
this reason: the warning, I mean, not the language.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"They sought in kirk, they sought in hall,
The lady was na' seen,
She's o'er the border and awa'
Wi' Jock o' Hazeldean."
-Sir Walter Scott, "Jock o' Hazeldean"