RE: Font size

Subject: RE: Font size
From: Mark Levinson <MarkL -at- gilian -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 12:22:54 +0200

Cedric asked:
> Has everybody used odd font size in technical documents?
> Is not it better to use even font size?

I use even sizes, odd sizes, half sizes, but I do try to
follow the rule (and maybe this is the general rule of
which "even-only" is a variant) that different sizes in
the same type family should differ by at least 2 points.
For example, if you're using Garamond 12 and you
want something a bit smaller, you should skip Garamond 11
and go down to Garamond 10. The rationale, I believe, is
that the smaller differences are irritating because the
reader's eye is unsure whether a difference exists or not.

Mark L. Levinson
markl -at- gilian -dot- com