Re: Font size

Subject: Re: Font size
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:58:38 +1100

Mark Levinson wrote

> I use even sizes, odd sizes, half sizes, but I do try to
> follow the rule (and maybe this is the general rule of
> which "even-only" is a variant) that different sizes in
> the same type family should differ by at least 2 points.

I'd say make it at least three points -- especially in
headings schemes where the type size is the
marker for subordination. Two points of difference
are too easily missed.

I've never heard of an "even-only" rule. On the face of it,
it sounds absurd.

We still don't know what the original poster meant
by "odd": did he mean unusual, did he mean assorted,
or did he mean "not even"?

Michael West
Melbourne, Australia

I imagine that someday there will be a new kind
of sadomasochistic role-playing in which the
technologically adept will pay dominatrices to
treat them like newbies.
-- Dennis Cass (Harper's Magazine, July 2000)