Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews

Subject: Re: re Rant: Enduring Job Interviews
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Mark Levinson <MarkL -at- gilian -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 08:19:01 -0400

Mark Levinson wrote:

> I'd like to look at the other side of the coin. Suppose
> you're doing the interviewing, you've found a candidate
> who might turn out to be the best you can find, but you
> sure wish somebody better would come along and you want

> to keep looking. What do you tell the candidate whom you
> want to keep on hold?

Mark, If the best I could find was well qualified, I would hire them. If
a better candidate came along, well, this is called "welcome to life."
In business one needs to make decisions quickly. Set a deadline for
closing applications and stick to it. (Provided of course, that you find
a qualified applicant.) Otherwise you may never hire anyone.
BTW What would you do if a clearly superior candidate came along after
you told candidate one that they would be hired. If your answer is that
you would tell candidate one not to start, would your answer be any
different if this happened after they were hired? (If I was the superior
candidate and learned that you did this, I would never agree to start
with your company.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-