Re: Get to the point?

Subject: Re: Get to the point?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Michael West <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 08:53:08 -0400

Michael West wrote:

> No, no, no! Here's the one you want:
>
> "It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents --
> except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by
> a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is
> in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops,
> and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that
> struggled against the darkness."
> -- Richard Bulwer-Lytton, _Paul Clifford_ (1830)
>
> Actually, that one's not as bad as it's cracked up (down?) to be.

LOL. You and I may not think it bad, but most editors I know will never
read any prose starting with "It was a dark and stormy night." Indeed,
that phrase is given as the classical example of a trite and hackneyed
expression.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity," - Einstein-